Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Oct. 5 - Day 5: Collecting Vintage Halloween

Collecting Vintage Halloween - Resources

One of the most complete guides to collecting vintage Halloween collectibles is Mark Ledenbach's Vintage Halloween Collectibles guide. His website is also a wealth of information and he blogs about current and past eBay auctions giving collectors advice. It comes highly recommended.

Another source for Beistle decorations is Claire Lavin's Timeless Halloween Collectibles - it's really great and the photography is nice too. Seeing all the great Beistle decorations and learning more about them is a must for collectors.

The first collecting guide I came across was Stuart Schneider's Halloween in America--he's got a new edition out but I haven't seen it just yet.

You can get a basic overview of collecting and more links to these and other guides at my website.

Jenn:)

5 comments:

Halloween Crazy! said...

I love educating myself on Halloween collectibles, but with prices so high I am happy with reproductions. I LOVE vintage style old or new. Thank you for the resources. I wish there was a book on new vintage items as well. Do you know of any?

Jenn Fisher said...

I don't know of any that focus on the new vintage style items. It seems to me that I read where one of the Halloween Queen's guides also shows some contemporary folk art in it.

I hear you on the prices of vintage :)One thing you can do is wait until Halloween passes and the dust settles so to speak and then check out eBay--there are always regular collectors of Halloween but prices on some fairly easy to find items will go down a bit after the Halloween buying frenzy is over.

Also, you might just focus on getting a few inexpensive items to represent the various types of collectibles for a neat display rather than trying to collect a lot of everything--maybe one lantern, one noisemaker, one game and so forth and then you can create a neat little display each year with a little something vintage to mix in with the vintage style items you have.

Jenn:)

Halloween Crazy! said...

Great advise! Thanks.

Anna said...

Thank you for the info on the guides! I really want to get these and read through them! Also, thanks for the tip on waiting until after Halloween to check out ebay, never thought about that! :)

snowbear said...

I have seen Mark's book before... i love to browse through it! Should see if the library has the others.